Tuesday, April 15, 2014

maple + blueberry refrigerator oatmeal

Happy tuesday, friends!
 
I wanted to share with you this recipe for
 [adapted from TheYummyLife]

I am totally a breakfast person & need it to start my day off right!
A friend of mine recommended this to me,
as she knows my LOVE for anything in mason jars!
I'm not a huge oatmeal fan, but this 'cold oatmeal' is SO delicious!
(and my favorite: EASY PEASY!)
It's also called 'summer porridge' which sounds even cuter! ;)
I'm trying to eat gluten free as much as possible,
so in this recipe I used GF rolled oats instead.
 
 
[INGREDIENTS] 
  • 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats // I used gluten free*
  • 1/3 cup skim milk // I used raw milk*
  • 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (If you use reg. yogurt add less milk)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
  • 2 teaspoons maple syrup (more or less to taste)
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
        *changes I made
 
Directions
1. In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and maple syrup.
2. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined.
3. Remove lid, add blueberries and stir until mixed throughout.
4. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.
5. Eat chilled & enjoy!

in a half pint (1 cup) jar, add 1/4 cup oats
 
add 1/3 cup milk 
 
add 1/4 cup greek yogurt
 
add 1 1/2 teaspoons of dry chia seeds
*fun fact: chia seeds
  • have more Omega 3 fatty acids than flax seed (important for heart health)
  • are the richest non-marine whole food source of Omega-3 (better than salmon)
  • absorb 10 times their weight in water and transform into a gel-like substance--great for athletes for maintaining hydration and helps with weight loss by making you feel full longer
  • are as high in protein as quinoa
  • are loaded with calcium, potassium, Vitamin B, and anti-oxidants
  • help balance blood sugar via the gelling action of the seed and it’s unique combination of soluble and insoluble fiber that slow down your body’s conversion of starches into sugars
  • have a neutral taste so they will take on the other flavors in a recipe
  • can be eaten whole (unlike flax seed); they don't have to be ground before adding them to food in order to digest them and benefit from their nutrients
  • have a two year shelf life, stored at room temperature (flax seeds quickly become rancid and lose their nutritional value)

 
 
add 1-2 teaspoons of maple syrup
 
 
SHAKE WELL!
 

 
add blueberries & stir
Place lid back on overnight &
dig in the following morning! :)
 
finished product: <3
 
find more recipes HERE
 
Let me know if you make it;
I'd love to hear your thoughts!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment